Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Todavia en Berlin

Here is one more thing I did while in Berlin. After my friends left I still had two more days in Berlin. I had read about a cool Vietnamese restaurant on the internet and since you can't get any Vietnamese food in Barcelona I decided to go even though it was like a half hour tram ride. After waiting two hours to climb up inside the glass dome of the Reichstag I hopped onto the tram and started my journey. I was getting nervous because it seemed like i was venturing into the suburbs of Berlin but as I got closer to my stop I noticed a lot of asian people getting on the tram, VIETNAMESE people, I was like okay awesome this is good. At my stop everyone on the tram practically got off and I was getting so excited....then I was like but where are they going because they were all kind of just wandering through this gate into what looked like a giant parking lot. It actually was a giant parking lot but just beyond it were three giant warehouses!!

Here is a photo of warehouse 1, or Hall 1, to the left there were two more
Vietnamese warehouse market

So inside of each there is a small hallway and you will find Vietnamese everything, clothing stories, hair salons, nail salons, restaurants, groceries and even many fake flower shops.

Here is the inside
Vietnamese warehouse market

I picked a restaurant and asked what the lady would recommend to me but she spoke no english and i don't speak german so it was kind of pointless and then she just pointed to something and I said I'll have that, it was like a chicken and pepper dish it was so delicious in like a light sauce and then you can add this sauce that is slivered garlic and hot peppers, not sure if that is true but I thought it was garlic....

Then I went to another place where i saw them grilling meat and decided to go there too, they didn't speak any english either so asking for the meat that is grilling outside was kind of hard but somehow we managed, it was pretty good and came with some vermicelli noodles, lettuce and basil assortment and i think fish sauce.

After traveling a lot I have learned to kind of just watch what the other people do and then do the same, so i saw everyone eating this jelly, coconut milky, tapioca like thing with a spoon and decided to try it. There was like a 12 year old girl who helped me and after trying some terrible german with her she revealed her perfect english to me. It was incredible! She said something like, its jelly fruits with coconut milk would you like ice with it. crazy! and then she asked if i wanted to try it but i said no and just paid her and started eating. It was just kind of like jelly candies stuff with coconut milk but it was good, there were also kidney and lima beans in the bottom which kind of freaked me out.

vietnamese thing i bought

If you're counting i ate two giant meals and that thing right in a row and then bought a steamed bun full of meat, hard boiled egg and cabbage for the road, it was actually my favorite thing. I never found the actual restaurant I was looking for though.

1 comment:

  1. seeing your thumb makes me miss you for some reason? creeper.

    ReplyDelete