Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tchuess!

Tchuess is kind of like cheers in German I guess, not for making toasts kind of cheers but like a "see ya" cheers. My trip to Germany was a great success, I was in Berlin for 7 days and Weimar for about 4 days.

This is currywurst, its a sausage, supposedly with curry in it? and then it has some ketchup curry sauce and then curry powder on top. It's very typical street food in Germany, it's so delicious. I think when I get back home I will probably make it.
currywurst

This is inside the Treptower park flea market in Berlin. I'm not sure how we actually managed to find this place because it's really tucked away behind some fencing inside a bunch of warehouses, but we did! and it was really incredible as you can see. This is a fairly tame photo of some of the things we found.
treptower park flea market

Some booths were a little more extreme
treptower park flea market

Here is Kate, my friend I stayed with in Weimar. She is studying there at the Bauhaus University. Together we ate tons of ice cream and sausages and this photo was taken in the entrance to her friends apartment where they made us some curried vegetables.
kate
Weimar is also home to Goethe and Schiller and some other writers, it has lots of libraries.

While in Berlin, Kate surprised me and was also there! We met up at this scavenger hunt. This is a photo of probably just half of our team, if that. Each team had a color, ours pink, and also a large speaker blasting electro music. Our team won! I think we may have only completed two tasks but we won anyways and I got a certificate.
scanvenger hunt

Berlin was my first city outside of Spain to visit. It is incredibly different than Barcelona, the climate, the people, the food, the way the city is set up and there is so much street food whereas in Barcelona there is pretty much none. Berlin is a very interesting city because it has so much incredibly recent history. Walking around you can see buildings with bullet holes. It's also a very young city, I didn't see that many old people just lots of 20-30 year olds. I also found Vietnamese food, but that is for another post.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jack it's Joey. I religiously read your blog, what Euro fun! Question for you! You remember my roomate Liz? If not, she's really cool and she wants to live in Stevens Squarish hood and our current lease ends in June. I think you two would get along, and you both have similar decorating interests. Lemme know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. joey i just responded on your blog but then thought maybe you would look here for ittttt....anyways now you know where to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack!

    Well, actually, Liz is looking for a place for June 1st, so maybe that won't work. However, I'm sure if you guys wanted to figure out a correspondence she could do the looking and send you detailed responses, probably pictures too. But I would understand if that's risky for you. Nonetheless, if it interests you, her email is elizabethsmc@gmail.com, or you could facebook her. Her last name is McAllister. Anyways, do what you want, not what I tell you that should do...

    Can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete