Thursday, February 5, 2009

Es lo que hay

"Es lo que hay" is kind of like saying, it is what it is. Like say at a restaurant they run out of the food you ordered so they just give you something else, or a cafe is out of to-go cups for a week, or a store you want to visit isn't open at the time it says it is, or maybe even you're teacher doesn't show up to class but also doesn't try to inform you of it. It just is what it is and that's how the Spanish operate. It's kind of like a vacation lifestyle. I mean you've got the sea and mountains right next to you, everything else is just extra.

Also I visited La Catedral de Barcelona, It's huge and they have tons of niches for different saints that you can pray to and leave flowers for. They also have coin operated electric candles. I definitely lit one for ten cents.

From the outside it doesn't look as cool but it is just massive and incredible inside. Also the photos get kind of cut off by the blog formatting so I'll need to do something different, i don't know what yet though, you can always just click on them.

IMG_0334

There are white geese that have lived here forever too! Our tour guide said they were big white birds and forgot the name for them in english so i thought that there would be swans inside but no they are just like big white geese.

geese

IMG_0342

coin operated candles

a painting

there were crypts all over the place!

IMG_0361

IMG_0326

Yeah I was a bad tourist at this point.

Here was a soap store we found around the corner from the cathedral

soap store

In other words I am feeling much better and my sickness is all gone except I am a little coughy due to all the smoking that goes on everywhere here. Tomorrow I hope to go to the flea market and maybe I'll take some pictures to put on here.

Classes, My classes are going just fine. Some never have homework while others have really random papers and projects assigned. Teaching in Spain seems to be a bit different. NO ONE eats in class. Drinking water is fine and sometimes coffee, although I have a teacher who will tell you to leave if you have a coffee. My I'm taking a class called Spain in Europe which I thought would be from more of a cultural Heritage perspective but its all about the economic development and growth of cities and all that. I guess they are kind of related but right now we are just getting like background education on economic growth and cities which is kind of boring me a bit.

1 comment:

  1. I want the vacationing lifestyle! I love the geese living inside and the colorful soaps!
    Miss you; your life rules!

    ReplyDelete