Saturday, January 10, 2009

todo en espanol

Hola!

Today was my third day in Spain. I've moved in with my host mother and tapped into some free wi-fi. Romi, my host mother, la senora, was very hip with the ability to connect with it. She speaks no english but likes it when I tell her english words sometimes. I explained to her the word buttery fly today which she found comical and then she asked me if I would eat rabbit. Today she took me to the market where I met some of her friends. I also met her newly pregnant daughter and her boyfriend/husband/I'm not sure. Romi is very excited to be a grandmother, she loves babies. She works as caretaker for two little boys.

There are tons of candy shops in Barcelona. Here is one called Happy Pills, it's very common for Spanish shops to use happy in their name. We also found Happy Shoes and .....I forget the rest.



Anyways, I have eaten more seafood in the past three days than the past year in Minneapolis. Today Romi made an incredible paella with two different kinds of whole shrimp, muscles and some other seafood that I was unsure about. Nonetheless I descended upon the entire platter and her daughter showed me to take apart the shrimp to eat it. I also had octupus in my paella on Thursday. It's really a world of firsts here. There are so many new things every single day its insane.

My apartment with Romi is a train stop away from La Sagrada Familia, the Gaudi church that is still under construction. Today we had a mini tour of it from the outside. Our Resident Director, Marta, is really smart and disected all of the biblical scenes for us. PS- there is a pizza hut across the street. Also from my window I can see the mountains, the tip top where there is a castle! Really insane, the apartment is small don't get the wrong idea. You can also see the agbar building from the balcony off the living room. It's just an office building for the water company of barcelona, get it agua barcelona!, but its quite beautiful although Romi tells me they hate it and they call it el phallo or the dick. It lights up but it is just so gigantic and huge its kind of an eye sore during the day.

Aqui esta el Agbar



Anways finishing up, its true, they do everything really late here and spending two hours at lunch is really not a big deal. It feels good to slow down a bit. Even though it's a huge city people tend to walk slower than I'm used to.

3 comments:

  1. I miss you already. post apartment pics please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY BARCELONA BLOG.

    woah, people here walk WAY FASTER than what i'm used to. i pretty much power walk to school every day just to keep up with the crowds, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack, I will check this religiously because I am dying to know how Spain is treating you!

    ReplyDelete