Thursday, January 15, 2009

un poco frio

It's been a little chilly in my room where I can find free internet so I'm my blankets typing right now. I think I'm beginning to adjust a little more and I find it a little less nerve racking to interact with the Spanish people. Plus I am using the subway a lot more and it's been really really fast and easy and amazing. Nothing like the time I got lost for two and half hours underground in new york.

el mamooth

Here is bridget, a fellow American student, and I at el mamooth statue in the Ciutadella park. The statue was dedicated, for what reason I don't know, to Picasso and is by Antonio Tapies. It's kind of like a central park for Barcelona. It was built on an old citadel, or fortress, that was built under Philip V during the 18th century, in 1869 it was decided that they would turn it into a park! They have a green house, currently under construction that is amazingly beautiful and old and this gigantic monument surrounded by waterfalls and a pond which is also undergoing some repairs.

The arc de triomf is just up a little bit from ciutadella park.

again.....

Here is La Sagrada Familia Church that has been under construction for the last 127 years. The anticipated completion is set for 2020 something. There is so much to it I'm not really sure what to say.

sagrada familia


We stumbled upon another Gaudi building while walking around. This is the entrance to the Apartment building he designed. It's in a kind of posh neighborhood next to valentino and yves saint laurent.

Gaudi Apartment Building

Here is a really cute owl that I think lights up at night on top of a building. On my flight here an American said that she thinks owls are a sign of luck to the Spanish.

IMG_0223

La Rambla is a touristy area full of street performers such as this one. I thought this one was especially funny, it has a tongue like one of those party blowers that sticks out at people.

one of the many street performers

2 comments:

  1. AH!

    I love that Giant Owl!

    Your clothing rack says Hi, but it misses you a little

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyone says 'posh' in europe, i LUV IT

    ReplyDelete